Valley storage level
Updated: 03 August 2020
The Peel valley is one of the worst affected regions in this severe time of drought
- Over the last 2 years, inflows into Chaffey Dam have been the lowest on record
- Tamworth’s water supply is entirely reliant upon surface water supplies so drought measures are underway to extend supplies
- The drought is a natural disaster – it has not been caused by extraction or irrigation.
Extending critical water supply to Tamworth
In June 2019, the NSW Government announced emergency short term measures to extend water supply to Tamworth, Moonbi and Kootingal town water supply system.
Stage 1: the temporary weir, pipeline and pumps have been installed and the water supply is being redirected to the existing Dungowan to Tamworth water supply pipeline. The temporary measures are reducing transmission losses from water travelling via the Peel River to Tamworth.
Flows in the Peel River downstream of Dungowan have ceased. Periodic flows will be released for environmental purposes and to maintain water quality in downstream pools. Read the announcement for more information.
Stage 2: constructing the 19 km permanent underground pipeline from Chaffey Dam to Dungowan.
All works will be in accordance with relevant planning and environmental laws and approvals.
WaterNSW has worked closely with Tamworth Regional Council, Department Planning, Infrastructure and Environment (Water), Department of Primary Industries (Fisheries) to plan and design the works.
The Chaffey to Dungowan Pipeline (Stage 2) is operational from 17 June 2020.
Chaffey Dam to Dungowan Pipeline
Community presentations and updates
- Peel River - Operations Report 2017 to 2019 (PDF 1.8 MB)
- Peel - Landholders Presentation - March 2020 (PDF 8.8 MB)
- Peel - Community Update - February 2020 (PDF 492.6 KB)
- Peel Valley - Fact Sheet - December 2019 (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Peel - Landholders Presentation - October 2019 (PDF 3.5 MB)
- Peel Valley - Fact Sheet - Sept / Oct 2019 (PDF 1.1 MB)
Past updates: 1 2
Environmental planning document
Contacts and feedback
- WaterNSW Customer helpdesk
- Tamworth Regional Council Community Engagement Portal - MyTRC Online Community
Facebook users can also join the WaterNSW Peel Valley drought response community group.