Valley storage level
Updated: 19 August 2019
The Peel valley is one of the worst affected regions in this severe time of drought
- Over the last 2 years, inflows into Chaffey Dam have been the lowest on record
- Tamworth’s water supply is entirely reliant upon surface water supplies so drought measures are underway to extend supplies
- The drought is a natural disaster – it has not been caused by extraction or irrigation.
Extending critical water supply to Tamworth
In June, the NSW Government announced emergency short term measures to extend water supply to Tamworth, Moonbi and Kootingal town water supply system.
Our investigations and assessments are in the final stages in sourcing water security options along the Peel River. The proposed measures are for WaterNSW to:
- install two temporary weirs and a temporary pipeline on the Peel River
- construct a permanent pipeline from Chaffey Dam to the existing Dungowan pipeline.
The proposed weirs will extend the water supply for Tamworth for approximately four months to maintain supply during the construction of the permanent pipeline. The permanent pipeline will:
- significantly reduce the transmission losses that occur through absorption and evaporation when the river is used to transfer water.
- conserve the remaining storage in Chaffey Dam and provide long-term water supply and drought security for Tamworth.
See the latest notification and map (PDF, 229.37 KB).
Our investigations are expected to be completed by the end of August 2019 and will determine the pipeline route. This will be communicated to the community once the final decision is made.
Construction is anticipated to start from late September 2019 and will commence with the installation of temporary weirs and a temporary pipeline.
The next community information sessions are being planning for October 2019.
We will continue to keep the website updated as we progress with our plans.
Community presentations and updates
Contacts and feedback
- WaterNSW Customer helpdesk
- WaterNSW Peel Valley Drought Response Project Facebook Group
- Tamworth Regional Council Community Engagement Portal, MyTRC Online Community at yourvoice.tamworth.nsw.gov.au
While water storage in the Peel valley remains at critically low levels, we will update you as news comes in via our media releases and water operations updates. This will be in addition to our weekly Regional NSW drought report.