Valley storage level
Updated: 21 June 2021
Extending critical water supply to Tamworth
In June 2019, the NSW Government announced emergency short term measures to extend water supply to Tamworth, Moonbi and Kootingal town water supply system.
Stage 1: the temporary weir, pipeline and pumps have been installed and the water supply is being redirected to the existing Dungowan to Tamworth water supply pipeline. The temporary measures are reducing transmission losses from water travelling via the Peel River to Tamworth.
Flows in the Peel River downstream of Dungowan have ceased. Periodic flows will be released for environmental purposes and to maintain water quality in downstream pools. Read the announcement for more information.
Stage 2: constructing the 19 km permanent underground pipeline from Chaffey Dam to Dungowan.
All works will be in accordance with relevant planning and environmental laws and approvals.
WaterNSW has worked closely with Tamworth Regional Council, Department Planning, Infrastructure and Environment (Water), Department of Primary Industries (Fisheries) to plan and design the works.
The Chaffey to Dungowan Pipeline (Stage 2) is operational from 17 June 2020.
Chaffey Dam to Dungowan Pipeline
- Biodiversity Offset Plan - EPBC 2019/8590 (PDF, 641.5 KB)
- Extension of Authorisation from NSW Government (PDF, 633 KB)
- Peel Environmental Water Technical Advisory Group – Terms of Reference (PDF, 746.43 KB)
- Commonwealth Approval - EPBC 2019/8950
- Authorisation from the NSW Government (PDF, 263.61 KB)
- Notice - Commencement of Pipeline Operations and Phase (PDF, 85.2 KB)
- Peel Valley landholders update - June 2020 (PDF, 83.68 KB)
- Notice - Pipeline operations change of phase (PDF, 85.26 KB)
Community presentations and updates
- Peel River - Operations Report 2017 to 2019 (PDF 1.8 MB)
- Peel - Landholders Presentation - March 2020 (PDF 8.8 MB)
- Peel - Community Update - February 2020 (PDF 492.6 KB)
- Peel Valley - Fact Sheet - December 2019 (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Peel - Landholders Presentation - October 2019 (PDF 3.5 MB)
- Peel Valley - Fact Sheet - Sept / Oct 2019 (PDF 1.1 MB)
Past updates: 1 2