We meet our dam safety requirements through a structured program of surveillance
Dams Safety NSW is the state regulator for dams safety. It is responsible for developing and implementing regulation for effective dam safety management to protect life, property and the environment from dam failures.
WaterNSW is obligated to meet the requirements under the NSW Dams Safety Act 2015.
The requirements that WaterNSW need to comply with during the life of each dam include:
- Proper operation and maintenance of their dams using trained personnel;
- Regular dam surveillance using trained personnel;
- Appropriate dam safety emergency plans to be in place for those dams whose failure could cause loss of non-itinerant life;
- Ongoing assessment of the dam’s behaviour on the basis of surveillance information;
- Periodic review of their dam's compliance with current Dams Safety NSW requirements;
- Review of all dam information and assessments by experienced personnel; and
- Actions, in response to dam assessments, to ensure that their dams are maintained in a safe condition.
The safe and responsible management of WaterNSW’s prescribed dams is also vital to ensure:
- compliance requirements relevant to the activities undertaken by WaterNSW including the current relevant Commonwealth and State legislation, Operating Licence(s) obligations;
- commitments to Government and associated regulatory bodies with respect to safety and asset management delivery and performance, specifically with respect to cost, risk and operational delivery, are achieved within agreed timeframes;
- management of public infrastructure to assure safe and reliable water delivery for future generations.
WaterNSW ensures dam safety and manages the risks of dam failure throughout the life of each dam by implementing an effective dam safety management system.
This is undertaken by professional and technical staff responsible for all aspects of dam safety including surveillance, investigations, risk analysis, planning & prioritisation, project initiation and oversight, and regulatory compliance and reporting.