Hume Dam Maintenance works
Hume Dam Maintenance works
Hume Dam Irrigation Gate and Penstock Maintenance works
About the project
- Located at Hume Dam.
- $6m maintenance project starts on 26 August 2019 and is scheduled to finish by the end of 2021 subject to weather conditions.
- This work is essential and part of scheduled 20-year maintenance of Hume Dam that will include mechanical, electrical, civil and restoration activities.
- For safety reasons there is currently no public access to the spill way crest roadway.
- This includes no access to pedestrians and cyclists to the spillway crest roadway, with gates to be locked either side of the spillway.
Hume Dam is situated just below the junction of the Murray and Mitta Mitta rivers, 16 kilometres east of Albury on the NSW-Victorian border. The dam is about 550 kilometres south-west of Sydney, and about 300 kilometres downstream from where the Murray rises on the Great Dividing Range. Hume Dam plays a critical role in capturing winter and spring rainfall from the Australian Alps and releasing it to regulate the flow of the River Murray. As well as irrigation, the dam supplies stock and household needs for towns and landholders along the Murray River across three states, and is used for hydro-electricity generation and recreation. This vital maintenance work is being done as part of a 20-year routine program and will upgrade and restore the dam valves, gates and pen-stocks.
- Ensure contemporary standards are met.
- These maintenance works occur once every 20 years and are essential to continue efficient and reliable water supply to customers.
- Economic benefits from sourcing suppliers and subcontractors locally
Operations during the upgrades
- For safety reasons there is currently no public access to the spillway crest roadway.
- This includes no access to pedestrians and cyclists to the spillway crest roadway, with gates to be locked either side of the spill way.
- The viewing platform on the northern side of the dam wall near to the Meridian Energy Hydro-electricity station shall remain open to the public.
- At times the public road between Hume Dam Village and the dam may be closed to allow for large equipment to be moved to and from the dam wall.
- Fishing and boating are not allowed within the restricted zone upstream of the dam wall at any time. Diving activities will be undertaken within the restricted zone as part of the works program.
- Visitors to the dam are best to check the WaterNSW website for updated closure information.
- Signage will be erected at the closure points and the community will be informed of any further disruptions.
- Hume Dam - Closed from 26 August 2019 to the end of 2021.
*Note that the closure end dates are subject to weather conditions.
WaterNSW Community Engagement Officer:
Phone: 1300 662 077