Search toggle

Your account and paying bills

Your account and paying bills

WaterNSW issues quarterly bills that represent a quarter of your entitlement charges as well as any usage charges for the previous three-month period.

You pay for your annual entitlement in four instalments during the year. Invoices are posted in October, January, April and August and all accounts are payable within 30 days of the issue date. You must pay each invoice individually.

We offer a range of payment options:


BPay takes about two minutes and you can do it 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you chose to pay via BPay, always remember to record your transaction receipt number.

By phone

  • POST Billpay - Pay your bill by phoning Australia Post Billpay on 13 18 16

In person

  • POST Billpay - Pay by cash, EFTPOS or cheque at any Australia Post office

Please take your TAX INVOICE to the post office. Staff will need to scan the barcode on the original invoice - NOT your statement.

By mail

  • Cheque or money order, posted with the payment advice slip(s) from your bill or statement to: WaterNSW, GPO Box 2694, SYDNEY, NSW 2001

Electronic billing

  • Soon we will be rolling out a new billing system that will allow us to send bills via email. If you wish to pre-register for electronic billing please either contact us on 1300 662 077 and speak to one of our friendly staff or simply send an email to

More about paying your bills

All accounts are payable, in full, within 30 days of the date of issue.

If your account is not paid by the due date, interest will be charged on the outstanding amount, in accordance with the rate set by the Supreme Court of NSW.

We will send you a reminder notice(s) and overdue notice(s) if your bill is overdue. If you do not pay your bill, WaterNSW may suspend your licence and this will affect your ability to order and take water.

Interest is charged on overdue bills in accordance with the current rate of 7.50%, which has been set by the Supreme Court of NSW. Interest will be charged even if you have negotiated a payment plan with WaterNSW.

If you feel that your invoice is incorrect, please contact us via:

Customer helpdesk on 1300 662 077 or

You will need to quote your customer account number when contacting WaterNSW regarding your bill.

When you are having difficulties paying your water bill, you should contact us a soon as possible.

We can offer:

  • An extension of up to 3 months.
  • A payment arrangement to pay the account in regular instalments over a period of 3 months.
  • In some circumstances WaterNSW will allow a payment plan of longer than 3 months. This will require some evidence of hardship. You should contact WaterNSW to discuss details of what is required (see below).

We can also help you identify options and solutions to sort out the bill before the next one is due, so you can keep debt at a manageable level.

We will  consider your current circumstances and payment history when assessing an appropriate  payment arrangement, but we cannot reduce the amount you pay.

In considering these options you should note that overdue accounts attract interest charges.

WaterNSW does not provide pensioner concessions as a water licence is deemed to be for a commercial purpose.

To be eligible for a deferred payment plan longer than 3 months, you must satisfy one or more of the following conditions:

  • You are receiving direct benefits from the Commonwealth Exceptional Circumstances Scheme
  • You are receiving benefits under a State-operated drought (or other natural disaster) relief scheme
  • You are suffering conditions arising from a drought of record in your valley/area, and have no carryover water or access to other water
  • You are experiencing conditions that create a direct and significant impact on your ability to pay water charges.

Your application must be supported by one or more of the following:

  • Documentary evidence from Centrelink or the Rural Assistance Authority that demonstrates financial hardship
  • Evidence that farm income has been reduced by at least 70% due to the abnormal conditions being experienced
  • A statutory declaration of off-farm income and investment levels, with evidence that annual off-farm income is less than $20,000 per annum
  • Evidence that you have attempted to trade any available water on the temporary or permanent market, eg copies of water transfer applications.

We carefully and confidentially consider all applications to defer payments. However, requests for negotiated payments are not automatically approved.

When your bill remains outstanding, and you have not contacted us to arrange for  assistance, we will undertake a process to enact recovery.

We will give you every opportunity to pay your bill. We do this by providing you with a number of reminder notices at regular intervals.

If your bill remains unpaid at the end of the reminder process, then we will consider suspending your licence. This means that you cannot order, extract or trade  water.

Before the licence suspension is lifted you will be required to pay the overdue amount in  full. The lifting of the suspension needs to be lodged with Land and Property Information (LPI) and could take up to 10 days to be processed.

Our aim is to  avoid suspension where possible. We would prefer that you contact us early and arrange payment support. WaterNSW will always honour any arrangement in place and refrain from debt recovery processes during this period.

If you feel that our actions are not appropriate, you may refer your complaint to one of our managers. If you are still dissatisfied you may refer matters to the Energy & Water Ombudsman of NSW (EWON).

EWON provides an independent dispute resolution service for customers of electricity, gas and water providers in NSW. This service is free of charge to you. EWON can be contacted via their website or on 1800 246 545.

Thursday 18 January
2,070,959 ML
2,581,749 ML
11,844 ML
1,692 ML
-17,376 ML
Thursday 18 January