Valley storage level
Updated: 11 November 2019
The Macquarie Valley is one of the worst affected regions in this severe time of drought with storage currently at critically low levels.
- There have been extreme low inflows (the amount of water entering the Macquarie Valley. Inflows since January 2018 are the lowest recorded inflows in history.
- Stock and Domestic replenishment flows rely on rain and tributary flows and not from Burrendong Dam. This is causing significant social, economic and environmental impacts.
- The drought is a natural disaster – it has not been caused by extraction or irrigation.
- Until 317GL of inflows are received, new allocations to general security users won’t be possible.
WaterNSW will be undertaking a range of drought mitigation projects to extend water supplies to meet critical human water needs to local communities in the Macquarie Valley. As the first stage, works will involve:
- Temporarily raise Warren Weir by 50 centimetres to increase the pool and raise the operating level of the weir; and
- Install temporary structures to block flows at Crooked Creek and Duck Creek Regulators. This will direct flows down the Gunningbar Creek Channel and Albert Priest Channel to support the townships of Cobar and Nyngan.
Following the completion of Stage 1 works, water flows stopped at the Duck Creek and Crooked Creek regulators from Wednesday 28 August 2019.
- Late 2019 - Bulk water transfer from Windamere Dam to Burrendong Dam
- Early – mid 2020 - Access the deep-water storage at Burrendong Dam
- Mid 2020 - Based on zero inflows, delivery of full town water supply cannot be met
We will continue to keep the website updated as we progress with the project.
Community presentations and updates
While water storage in the Macquarie valley remains at critically low levels, we will update you as news comes in via our media releases and water operations updates. This will be in addition to our weekly Regional NSW drought report.
Environmental planning document
- Macquarie Drought Temporary Works – Stage 1 Warren – Review of Environmental Factors (REF) (Full Version) (PDF, 9277.69 KB)
- Macquarie Drought Temporary Works – Stage 1 Warren – Review of Environmental Factors (REF) (Part One) (PDF, 2872.59 KB)
- Macquarie Drought Temporary Works – Stage 1 Warren – Review of Environmental Factors (REF) (Part Two Appendices) (PDF, 6412.06 KB)