About the project
- Warragamba Dam typically supplies the majority of Sydney’s water needs. There are two pipelines that exit the valve house that are the primary method of water release from the dam.
- These pipelines are an integral component of the Warragamba water supply system.
- The project is upgrading pipeline infrastructure to ensure the efficient and reliable delivery of water from Warragamba Dam to Prospect, Orchard Hills or Warragamba filtration plants.
- RCR O’Donnell Griffin Pty Ltd won the tender to undertake the upgrades which started in July 2018.
Warragamba Dam is located about 65 kilometres west of Sydney in a narrow gorge on the Warragamba River. Created by damming Warragamba River and flooding the Burragorang Valley, the storage lake is four times the size of Sydney Harbour and stores around 80 percent of Sydney's water.
The best quality water is selected and drawn through screens on three outlets in the upstream face of the dam. Water flows by gravity through a valve house into two pipelines that feed the raw water to Prospect water filtration plant and via off-takes to smaller filtration plants at Orchard Hills and Warragamba
- Improve reliability, operation and efficiency of the water supply from Warragamba Dam to Prospect, Orchard Hills and Warragamba filtration plants.
- This project will create jobs locally and ensure the delivery of high quality water to customers
Operations during the upgrades
Warragamba Dam will continue to operate as normal. For safety reasons public access to the Lower Terraced Area may be closed at times when construction work is taking place within the vicinity.
In the case of any closures every effort will be made to ensure that visitors continue to access nearby picnic areas.
WaterNSW recommends that visitors check the dam website page to check for closures when planning a visit to Warragamba Dam during this time.
- July 2018 – Upgrade work starts at Warragamba and the pipeline
- December 2020 – construction work finishes
Project Manager: Khanh Vu
Phone: 1300 662 077