Wilcannia Weir Replacement
Wilcannia Weir Replacement
About the project
WaterNSW is designing and constructing a new weir for Wilcannia on behalf of the State and Federal Governments under the Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure program. $30 million in funding has been provided under the program to replace the weir at a site that was supported and agreed upon by the community during previous investigations and consultation by DPI, Water.
The Wilcannia Weir was constructed in 1942 for the purpose of providing a more reliable town water supply for Wilcannia. Water levels have decreased as a result of development activities since the weir was built, causing the river to be altered and removed from the community of Wilcannia.
The new weir will provide long-term town water supplies to preserve and enhance the social, economic and environmental benefits for Wilcannia, its people and its surrounds.
A dedicated WaterNSW project team has been assembled to undertake the concept design and environmental assessment for the new weir so the project can progress to the detailed design and construction phase by 2020.
The new weir will have a range of benefits including:
- Improved water security for Wilcannia
- Enhanced cultural connection to the river
- Improved water management of the weir pool
- Increased tourism opportunities and investment
- Better recreational amenity to walk, swim, picnic and fish
- Improved native fish migration
WaterNSW understands the importance of the river to the community and want to design and construct a weir that meets community needs and expectations and maintains the strong connection people have to the river.
Community drop in sessions, to share information and get feedback on the design are being held at key milestones throughout the project. Regular updates to the community via newsletter, factsheets, newspaper and radio are to be made available.
Due to the restrictions in place for the outbreak of COVID-19 there are to be changes to the delivery time frame for the Wilcannia Weir Replacement project. The Weir project will continue despite the COVID-19 crisis, however WaterNSW is committed to keeping the community safe during the health crisis. Engineering, environmental and heritage assessments that require field work are to be postponed but WaterNSW is able to keep progressing some activities that don’t require being on site. A revised project timeline is to be provided to the community by the end of May.
The restrictions in place are temporary and WaterNSW is committed to continued engagement with the Wilcannia community. The project team are not able to visit Wilcannia community but will communicate via phone, email, video meetings, advertisements, local radio and news. Project updates and flyers are providing information and we will continue to work closely with the community.
- Planning approvals – August to December 2019
- Concept Design – August 2019 to May 2020
- Detail Design – new dates to be confirmed after COVID restrictions are lifted.
- Fabrication supply – new dates to be confirmed after COVID restrictions are lifted.
- Construction – new dates to be confirmed after COVID restrictions are lifted.
- Commissioning– new dates to be confirmed after COVID restrictions are lifted.
- Project Update #4 - April 2020 (PDF, 332.62 KB)
- Project Update #3 – December 2019 (PDF, 1839.09 KB)
- Project Update #2 – October 2019 (PDF, 400.82 KB)
- Project Update #1 – August 2019 (PDF, 824.75 KB)
For more information about the weir replacement email us at WilcanniaWeir@waternsw.com.au or call 1300 662 077.
Project Manager: WaterNSW Asset Delivery Team