Subscribe for updatesReplacing the current Dungowan Dam with a new, larger dam will improve water availability and security in the Peel Valley.
What's happening in April?
- Our next round of community information webinars will be held on Tuesday 13 April, RSVP here
- Our quarterly project newsletter will be published for the community, stakeholders and businesses
- Investigations will continue between Calala and Dungowan Dam including land surveys and service location studies
- Stay up to date with our website and subscribe for updates for more information about upcoming events and project milestones
WaterNSW has released a 20-year infrastructure options study for rural river valleys which addresses future challenges in operating regulated river systems. The objective of the study was to guide water infrastructure investment by all levels of government.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian have announced a jointly funded package of around $1.1bn for the planning and delivery of three new or augmented dams in NSW. This includes the replacement of the existing Dungowan Dam near Tamworth.
The Peel Valley supports Tamworth and other smaller townships, as well as irrigated agriculture and industry.
The principle objective of the Dungowan Dam project is to secure the long-term water supply security for the regional city of Tamworth. Further, the project will enable future population growth for Tamworth, which together with an already-augmented Chaffey Dam will maintain a productive level of general security reliability and water use for irrigation. Over time, this objective is expected to underpin water affordability that will support broader agricultural productivity benefits for the region.
- A new proposed dam approximately 3.5km downstream of the existing Dungowan Dam
- A new proposed 55km pipeline from the new Dungowan Dam to the Calala Water Treatment Plant
- Increased town water supply
- Improved general security reliability and delivery efficiencies
- Increased supply for agriculture
- Supporting Peel drought work
- Replacing ageing infrastructure
- Maximising local opportunities from the construction of the project
Facebook users can also join the WaterNSW Dungowan Dam project community group.
Local Business Register
WaterNSW is collecting a register of local businesses interested in providing support to the Dungowan Dam project. Please register your interest and provide a short summary of the service your business provides, as well as your business location and preferred method of contact