Subscribe for updatesReplacing the current Dungowan Dam with a new, larger dam will improve water availability and security in the Peel Valley.
What's happening in October
- The Social Impact Assessment (SIA) survey is now open. Have your say before October 30 on the potential impacts and benefits of the project. Click here to take the survey.
- Environmental investigations to start with installation of groundwater monitoring equipment in the local area.
- The next round of monthly community webinars are scheduled on October 26. To RSVP, visit swipengage.com/#/DungowanDam.
WaterNSW has released a 20-year infrastructure options study for rural river valleys which addresses future challenges in operating regulated river systems. The objective of the study was to guide water infrastructure investment by all levels of government.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian have announced a jointly funded package of around $1.1bn for the planning and delivery of three new or augmented dams in NSW. This includes the replacement of the existing Dungowan Dam near Tamworth.
The Peel Valley supports Tamworth and other smaller townships, as well as irrigated agriculture and industry.
The principle objective of the Dungowan Dam project is to secure the long-term water supply security for the regional city of Tamworth. Further, the project will enable future population growth for Tamworth, which together with an already-augmented Chaffey Dam will maintain a productive level of general security reliability and water use for irrigation. Over time, this objective is expected to underpin water affordability that will support broader agricultural productivity benefits for the region.
- Increases town water supply by around 7GL per annum
- Improves general security reliability and delivery efficiencies
- Ensures 5.65GL average annual use for agriculture
- Supports Peel drought work
- Replaces ageing infrastructure
Facebook users can also join the WaterNSW Dungowan Dam project community group.
Local Business Register
WaterNSW is collecting a register of local businesses interested in providing support to the Dungowan Dam project. Please register your interest and provide a short summary of the service your business provides, as well as your business location and preferred method of contact