About the project
- Warragamba Dam typically supplies the majority of Sydney’s water needs. There are two pipelines that exit the valve house that are the primary method of water release from the dam.
- These pipelines are an integral component of the Warragamba water supply system.
- The project is upgrading pipeline infrastructure to ensure the efficient and reliable delivery of water from Warragamba Dam to Prospect, Orchard Hills or Warragamba filtration plants.
Warragamba Dam is located about 65 kilometres west of Sydney in a narrow gorge on the Warragamba River. Created by damming Warragamba River and flooding the Burragorang Valley, the storage lake is four times the size of Sydney Harbour and stores around 80 percent of Sydney's water.
The best quality water is selected and drawn through screens on three outlets in the upstream face of the dam. Water flows by gravity through a valve house into two pipelines that feed the raw water to Prospect water filtration plant and via off-takes to smaller filtration plants at Orchard Hills and Warragamba
- Improve reliability, operation and efficiency of the water supply from Warragamba Dam to Prospect, Orchard Hills and Warragamba filtration plants.
- This project will create jobs locally and ensure the delivery of high quality water to customers
Operations during the upgrades
Warragamba Dam will continue to operate as normal. There are no closures expected to any recreation areas during this work. Customers will be notified of any planned interruptions to the water supply.
- Warragamba Pipeline Valves & Controls Upgrade: started in April 2018 and is to finish in 2022
- Warragamba Pipeline Urgent Works Project: started June 2018 and is to finish by October 2020.
- Warragamba Water Supply Corridor and Pipeline Restoration Program: 11 year program commenced in 2020 and is to finish in 2031.
- Mark Hately - Project Manager - Warragamba Pipeline Valves and Controls Upgrade
- Khanittha Poonbua - Project Manager – Warragamba Pipeline Urgent Works Project
- Frank Kinnas - Project Manager - Warragamba Supply Corridor and Pipeline Restoration Program
Phone: WaterNSW Helpdesk for more information 1300 662 077