Environmental assessment for the Warragamba Dam Raising project commenced in September 2017. The studies and survey underway will provide important data for the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), which will be made available for public review and comment. The dates for the public review period will be posted on this website and available in community updates.
The EIS will be prepared in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and the NSW Department of Planning and Environment Secretary’s Environmental Assessment Requirements (SEARs).
The project has been declared a Controlled Action under the Australian Government Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 due to the likely impact on matters of national environmental significance including:
- World Heritage properties (the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area and National Heritage Place)
- National Heritage places
- Listed threatened species and communities.
The environmental assessment will be undertaken through the Bilateral Agreement between the NSW and Australian governments.
Consultation with key agencies and stakeholders, including the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, NSW Department of Planning and Environment, Infrastructure NSW, relevant councils, and the Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy, is being undertaken to inform the methodology and approach to key assessments for the EIS.
Surveys and assessments are being undertaken in accordance with the methodologies and guidelines required under the project SEARs.
The project team are undertaking a range of field surveys. These include:
- Aboriginal cultural heritage surveys
- Aquatic and terrestrial ecological surveys (flora / fauna species and communities)
- Geomorphological surveys
- Noise and vibration assessments in the vicinity of Warragamba Dam
- Non-Aboriginal heritage investigations
- Visual amenity and landscape character investigations
- The outcomes of the field surveys will inform the environmental assessment.
Other relevant environmental issues, not requiring field surveys, will also be considered in the EIS as outlined in the projects SEARs.
Contact the Warragamba Dam Raising team:
Call: 1800 932 066