Greater Sydney Bridges
Greater Sydney Bridges
About the project
WaterNSW owns and maintains over 120 road bridge structures in the Greater Sydney area providing access to and around WaterNSW’s major dam assets. As supporting infrastructure, upgrades to the road bridges will assist with the operations of our major assets to deliver high quality water to nearly 5.5 million people in the Greater Sydney region.
As part of the ongoing maintenance and safety upgrade program, 16 bridges will be upgraded in the Stage 1 program to commence from April 2019. Upgrades to the bridges will ensure current Work Health and Safety (WHS) standards and heritage requirements are being met.
During the Stage 1 program, various bridges located along the Upper Canal and at dam sites including Prospect Reservoir, Woronora Dam, Cordeaux Dam, Avon Dam, Warragamba Dam and Wingecarribee Reservoir. Planning of upgrade programs to remaining bridges will continue and be scheduled in future stages.
Select Civil/Cardno will be undertaking the road bridge upgrades on behalf of WaterNSW. Project completion is due in February 2021.
- Improve safety standards to major structures and access to WaterNSW assets
- Preserve the heritage significant structures and surroundings
- This project will create approximately50 jobs and deliver benefits to the local communities
During the upgrade
Road bridges provide access to WaterNSW major assets. WaterNSW staff and contractors access these bridges regularly for operations and maintenance purposes. Some road bridges are publicly accessible providing access to private property or recreational areas at the dam sites.
During the works there may be increased traffic movements, localised noise and dust impacts.
Road bridges will need to be closed during stages of the project when construction activities are considered to increase risk to safety. Every effort will be made to provide notice to affected stakeholders and where possible an alternate access route will be identified. Signage and traffic management will be in-place prior to any works starting.
Current closures to road bridges and dam sites
- Private road bridge over the saddle dams at Shoalhaven/Wingecarribee Reservoir will be closed from mid April to to late December
- Upper Canal Bridge between Twenty Seventh and Twenty Eighth Avenue, West Hoxton will be closed from 1 November to late December 2019. Detours are in place.
- February 2019 – Project award
- April 2019 – Construction to start on the bridge over Wingecarribee Reservoir, Shoalhaven area
- November 2019 – Construction to start on the Upper Canal Bridge at West Hoxton
- 2021 – Construction due for completion
For more information about the upgrades or to enquire about any of the project activities contact us or call 1300 662 077.
Project Manager: Khanittha Poonbua