- Located on the Lachlan River, 50 km upstream of Cowra
- Dam completed 1935 (enlarged 1971)
- Storage capacity 1,220,000 megalitres
About the upgrade
- Cost of construction $53 million
- Funded by the NSW State Government
- Construction commencement 2009
- Storage capacity and normal water releases will not be affected by the upgrade.
- 1A - Spillway radial gate raising and locking.
- 1B - Downstream spillway chute wall raising.
- The project also includes construction of a bridge and associated road works to provide alternative access once the road across the top of the dam wall is closed to public vehicles.
- WaterNSW is investigating the most efficient combination of crest raising and auxiliary spillway works to follow the current stage. Future works will be subject to funding availability and priority in the dam safety upgrade portfolio.
- Improve capability of the dam to withstand extreme floods.
- Improve environmental performance.
- Increase sustainable regional development.
- Stimulating local economy during construction phase.
- Bring dam into line with contemporary security practices.
Downstream spillway chute wall raising
- Complete construction July 2010
- Commence construction late 2009
- Award construction contract late 2009
Spillway radial gate raising and locking
- Construction completion estimated late 2016
- Commence construction early 2013
- Award construction contract late 2012
- New bridge to be called Wyangala Bridge
- Traffic has been diverted across the new bridge and road in June 2014.
- New road and bridge to be operational mid 2014, dam crest road scheduled to be closed June 2014.
- Construction commencement ceremony April 2013.
- Contract for construction of gate raising and locking system and alternative access awarded to John Holland December 2012
- Detailed designs completed for gate raising and locking system and new road and bridge alternative access January 2012
- Alternative access REF on public display for three weeks November 2011
- Complete REF into the alternative access October 2011
- Commence review of environmental factors (REF) into the alternative access and additional community consultation March 2011
- Contract awarded for detailed design of gate raising and locking system January 2011
- Contract awarded for detailed design of bridge and road access December 2010
- Wyangala Working Party endorsed option to build a new road and bridge to connect Darby's Falls Road and Trout Farm Road August 2010
- Completed construction on chute wall raising works July 2010
- Commenced construction on chute wall raising works February 2010
- NSW Minister for Water Phillip Costa ordered an independent review to determine a suitable alternative access and rule out the Mt McDonald Road option July 2009
- Consultation undertaken with local community including Cowra and Boorowa Council to decide on an alternative access route to Wyangala village. 35 face-to-face interviews were conducted with up to 50 local residents to discuss the impact of various options relating to the road closure June 2009
- Proposed to restrict public vehicle access to the road atop the dam wall during construction and beyond for safety of staff and to better protect critical dam infrastructure March 2009
Review of Environmental Factors reports
- July 2016 - Wyangala Dam safety upgrade (PDF 204 KB)
- 26.06.2015 - New Wyangala Bridge named by locals
- 29.04.2014 - Community invited to name new Wyangala bridge
- 02.04.2014 - June closure of Wyangala crest road
Project Manager: Khan Vu
Phone: 1300 662 077