- Located on the Tumut River, 13km upstream of Tumut in southern NSW
- Dam completed in 1968
- Storage capacity of 1,628,000 megalitres
About the upgrade
- Cost of $33 million
- Funded by The NSW State Government
- June 2009 start date
- December 2010 completion date
Stage 1 - Construction of a parapet wall on top of the dam wall crest and raising the spillway training walls. Storage capacity and water releases will not be altered by the upgrade.
- Improved dam safety in the event of extreme flooding.
- Improved flood management.
- Stimulated local economy during the construction phase.
- 2009 April - Award construction contract
- 2009 June - Commence construction
- 2010 December - Complete construction
- The project was completed on time and within budget in December 2010.
- A 30 tonne all terrain crane was utilized to facilitated the construction of the parapet wall.
- Parapet wall construction works at the crest of the dam have also been completed.
- Concrete works at the spillway complete and the earthfill works have been completed.
- Site supervision undertaken by Professional Engineering Services (PES).
- Construction began following sod turning ceremony on the 29 June 2009.
- Contract for stage one works awarded to Macmahon Contractors Pty Ltd.
- Blowering Dam Safety Upgrade (PDF 145 KB)
Blowering Dam documentaries and time lapse videos on youtube:
Project Manager: Jay Sinha
Contact Details: 1300 662 077