Interstate tagging

Interstate tagging

Application form: Interstate tagging a NSW Water Access Licence (WAL) to an interstate extraction point

NSW Water Access Licences (WALs) can be used to take (e.g. to extract) water interstate through a mechanism known as tagging. The WAL remains registered in NSW and is subject to the WAL conditions imposed by NSW, even though the WAL is 'tagged' or linked to an extraction point in another state. However, you will need to hold a current right to take water issued by the governing body in the state where the water is to be taken.

Use the NSW Water Register to search for NSW WALs tagged to interstate extraction points.

Interstate tagging a NSW approval to an interstate entitlement

To 'tag' an interstate entitlement into NSW, you will need to hold a current NSW water supply work approval or combined work and use approval.

Download an Application to tag an interstate water licence to a NSW approval (extraction point) ( PDF, 577.27 KB) and Guide to application to tag an interstate water licence to a NSW approval (PDF, 508.84 KB)

More information

Not all WALs or NSW work approvals can be tagged interstate. Typically, tagging is only available to and from the regulated NSW Murray River and the regulated Murrumbidgee River (with Victoria and South Australia).

To discuss the procedures for undertaking an interstate tagging, contact a Water Regulation Officer in the Murrumbidgee or Murray Valleys.


Tuesday 07 July
2,080,018 ML
2,581,850 ML
9,484 ML
1,355 ML
-22,824 ML
Tuesday 07 July