Application form: Consolidating Water Access Licences (WALs)

A new WAL can be created by joining two or more WALs together. To do this, the WALs must have the same category, be in the same zone or water source and have the same nominated works. If the works are not the same, an application to change these is also needed. Please see Change a WAL.

Note that NSW Land Registry Services (NSW LRS) will not register a consolidation dealing where the WAL to be consolidated is held by the same holders but in different tenancies.

Where holders or tenancy differ, the holders will first need to change the tenancy arrangement with (NSW LRS) to ensure there are similar tenancy arrangements before the application to consolidate WALs can be accepted by WaterNSW.

Applicants wanting to consolidate WALs that are held by two or more holders need to first check that the tenancy arrangements are the same before lodging an application. This check can be done online on the WAL Register.

You may want to consolidate two or more WALs into one as a result of:

  • receiving an additional WAL as part of a property settlement
  • purchasing a WAL from another WAL holder
  • rationalising your WALs.

To combine the WALs, they must be of the same category or subcategory, in the same zone or water source and have the same nominated works.

For more information, see dealings process and Guide to the application to consolidate WALs (PDF, 734.86 KB). If you have any questions, please contact the Customer Helpdesk on 1300 662 077 or email


Tuesday 07 July
2,080,018 ML
2,581,850 ML
9,484 ML
1,355 ML
-22,824 ML
Tuesday 07 July