Warragamba Dam spill rate drops lower as inflows fall

Warragamba Dam spill rate drops lower as inflows fall

23 March 2021

The volume of water spilling from Warragamba dam has fallen to 240 gigalitres per day (GL/day) down from a rate of 300 GL/day yesterday, after peaking at 500 GL/day on Sunday.

While rain continues across the catchment, inflows to the dam have fallen to 140 GL/day, well below projections, and making the predicted second rise in spill volumes today now just 300GL/day (down from yesterday’s forecast of 400GL/day).

Other Sydney supply dams are continuing to receive inflows, with Nepean, Cataract, Cordeaux and Avon dams all spilling.

Flow data continues to indicate that tributaries downstream of Warragamba contributed almost half (46%) the floodwaters arriving at Penrith, with the remaining 54% discharged from the dam.

On current forecasts it is likely Warragamba will spill for another week and thereafter lower volume inflows into the dam storage could continue for some time.

WaterNSW continues to maintain a dedicated 24-hour incident management team that is working closely with the Bureau and the NSW State Emergency Service to monitor weather and dam inflows.

WaterNSW will continue to work closely with Sydney Water and NSW Health throughout the rain event, to watch for potential water quality impacts on untreated supply.

For weather forecasts and flood warnings visit http://www.bom.gov.au/

For emergency information visit https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/ or contact 132 500

Media contact – Tony Webber - 0428613478

Loading

94.0
Tuesday 19 October
0.2
2,426,378 ML
2,581,850 ML
9,092 ML
1,299 ML
4,444 ML
Tuesday 19 October