Search toggle

WaterNSW confirms restrictions for Macquarie Valley customers

WaterNSW confirms restrictions for Macquarie Valley customers

12 September 2018

The extreme drought conditions across NSW have resulted in WaterNSW implementing restrictions on water accounts for many Macquarie Valley customers.

Macquarie Valley general security customers can only access 70% of the water that was available in their accounts on 1 July. The remaining 30% will be held in a drought sub-account. These restrictions apply until there are further inflows to Burrendong Dam.

In addition, water can only be traded from the active portion of accounts (70%) to ensure any water traded can be delivered. This measure is a direct consequence of the worst drought on record.

“While we understand this may have an impact on customers’ business plans, it is unfortunately necessary. Inflows to Burrendong Dam since the last Available Water Determination (AWD), in August 2017, are a meagre 30GL. That is 27% of the previous lowest inflows of about 111GL,” said Adrian Langdon, WaterNSW’s executive manager of System Operation & Asset Maintenance.

“This less-than historical minimum inflow confirms that the system has entered into a new drought of record for Burrendong Dam. It has resulted in insufficient water being available in the dam for WaterNSW to deliver all water currently held in general security carryover accounts.

“Unfortunately, as inflows have been well below the minimum forecast, the water stored in Burrendong Dam at the start of the water year is less than what was forecast when the last AWD was announced in August 2017.

“This means that we do not have the volume of water available to meet all the water carried over in 2018/19. These restrictions will help to conserve the available water and ensure that customers are being treated consistently across the Macquarie Valley.

“We have been communicating with customers for several months about reserving a decision until after the winter period where typically replenishment inflows are generated. For an unprecedented second consecutive winter those inflows have not occurred.

“In the current exceptional circumstances it is prudent to quarantine some of this water until adequate inflows are received to ensure critical community supply is guaranteed. Once adequate inflows are received the 30% in reserve will become available to customers.”

When water availability and AWD’s are determined in Macquarie Valley, the process considers the following conditions:

  • The volume of water available in the storage;
  • The estimate of future inflows based on the previous lowest inflow sequence, and;
  • Available water for Bulk Water Transfer from Windemere Dam.

For more information on this Temporary Water Restriction, please call 1300 662 077 or email: Customer.Helpdesk@waternsw.com.au

Contact: Tony Webber

Phone: 0428 613 478

63.6
Friday 21 September
-0.8
1,642,610 ML
2,581,850 ML
11,685 ML
1,670 ML
-12,556 ML
Friday 21 September