Chaffey Dam upgrade and augmentation
Chaffey Dam upgrade and augmentation
- Located on the Peel River, 43km upstream of Tamworth.
- Dam completed in 1979.
- Storage capacity of 102,868ML (following augmentation).
About the project
- Stage one - $13 million funded by the NSW Government - construction of a 35 metre auxiliary spillway with release plug - completed 2011.
- Stage two and augmentation - $50 million funded by the Australian Government, NSW Government and Tamworth Regional Council.
Description of works
- Upgrade the dam to comply with ANCOLD and DSC safety standards and increase the dam’s capacity from 62GL to 100GL.
- The works involved raising the dam wall by 8 metres. These works have increased the full supply level of the dam by 6.5 metres.
- Augmentation will help secure long term water supplies for the growing city of Tamworth and improve the security of water entitlements for downstream users.
- Normal dam operations continued throughout the project.
- Additional water releases have not been required during construction. The storage was to be kept at around 83% of capacity during work on the morning glory spillway however a lack of inflows meant the storage did not rise above 60% during the works.
- Works at dam wall
- Works to Tamworth-Nundle Road and River Road
- The increased full supply level of the dam meant some roads, bridges and recreation facilities had to be relocated or realigned.
- Results from the environmental impact assessment were incorporated into construction including measures to mitigate impacts from the increased water level from augmentation.
- Improved ability of dam to withstand extreme floods.
- Securing the long term water supply for Tamworth.
- Improve the security of water entitlements for downstream users.
- Stimulating local economy during the construction phase.
Stage one works
- 2009 late - Review of environmental factors.
- 2009 late - Detail design completed.
- 2010 early - Construction commenced.
- 2011 February - Construction completed.
Stage two and augmentation works
- 2011 mid-year - Commence detailed design for stage two and augmentation.
- 2014 mid to late - Commence construction on stage two and augmentation.
- 2016 May - Completion of upgrade and augmentation
- 2016 May - Edition 6 (PDF 152 KB)
- 2016 February - Edition 5 (PDF 195 KB)
- 2015 October - Edition 4 (PDF 219 KB)
- 2015 June - Edition 3 (PDF 226 KB)
- 2015 March - Edition 2 (PDF 440 KB)
- 2014 December - Edition 1 (PDF 255 KB)
- 20.09.2016 - Chaffey Dam project wins award
- 06.05.2016 - Glory, glory to Chaffey Dam as upgrade complete
- 04.03.2016 - Chaffey Dam to deliver greater water security
- 15.02.2016 - Historic links to British Army repeated at Chaffey Dam
- 09.02.2016 - Chaffey Dam works nearing completion
- 26.10.2015 - Chaffey spillway on the rise: augmentation taking shape
- 14.08.2015 - Chaffey project on track despite recent rain
- 18.05.2015 - Chaffey upgraded passes half-way point
- 10.02.2015 - Community committee updated on Chaffey progress
- 11.12.2014 - New boat ramp for Chaffey Dam
- 19.11.2014 - Construction ramps up on Chaffey Dam
- 20.10.2014 - Consultation continues at Chaffey expansion
- 10.10.2014 - Chaffey Dam expansion underway
- 30.05.2014 - Vital step forward in Chaffey Dam expansion
- Winner - The Regional Award - 2016 Australian Engineering Excellence Awards, Newcastle Division
- Entrant - 2016 Master Builders Association Excellence in Construction Awards
Photos and videos
- Video - Time-lapse 2: Chaffey Dam safety upgrade and augmentation
- Video - Time-lapse 1: Chaffey Dam safety upgrade and augmentation
- Video - Chaffey Dam safety upgrade and augmentation - May 2016
- Video - Chaffey Dam safety upgrade and augmentation - November 2015 progress
- Photos - Chaffey Dam upgrade and augmentation Flickr album
- 19.05.2016 - New Chaffey storage level applied
Environmental approval process
- An environmental impact assessment was prepared by consultants Worley Parsons to seek environmental approval for the project.
- The Executive Director of the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure made a determination approving the project 27 February 2014. Documentation in relation to the assessment and approval can be sourced from Chaffey Dam safety upgrade and augmentation page on the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure website.
- Final approval was received on Monday, 7 April 2014 from the Australian Government Minister for the Environment. Documentation in relation to the approval can be sourced from the Chaffey project page on the Australian Government Department of Environment's website.
Environmental approval documents
- State Significant Infrastructure Application SSI 5039 (PDF 1.442 MB)
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Part 1 (PDF 4.988 MB)
- EIS Part 2 (PDF 4.889 MB)
- EIS Appendix 1 - 6 Director General's Requirements (PDF 3.580 MB)
- EIS Appendix 7 OEH Correspondence (PDF 3.162 MB)
- EIS Appendix 8 Biodiversity (PDF 5.558 MB)
- EIS Appendix 9 Aboriginal Heritage (PDF 4.971 MB)
- EIS Appendix 10 European Heritage (PDF 3.722 MB)
- EIS Appendix 11-13 (Traffic and Transport, Noise and Vibration, and Air Quality) (PDF 224 MB)
- Preferred Infrastructure Report (PIR) (PDF 2.361 MB)
- Communication strategy - Chaffey Dam upgrade stage two and augmentation 2014 (PDF 284 KB)
- PIR Appendix 1 (PDF 1.595 MB)
- PIR Appendix 2 (PDF 4.144 MB)
- PIR Appendix 3 (PDF 1.379 MB)
- PIR Appendix 4 (PDF 286 KB)
- PIR Appendix 5 (PDF 1.560 MB)
- PIR Appendix 6 (48.37 KB)
- Response to agencies' comments on the PIR (PDF 7.278 MB)
- Vegetation Offset Plan (PDF 4.793 MB)
- Booroolong Frog Offset Report - November 2013 (PDF 2.320 MB)
- Booroolong Frog Offset Plan - approval (PDF 48 KB)
- Booroolong Frog Offset Plan - December 2015 (PDF 4.14 MB)
- Instrument of Approval (PDF 480.1 KB)
- Director General's Assessment Report (PDF 1.626 MB)
- Minister for Environment Approval Decision (PDF 480 KB)
- Notice of plan approvals (PDF 69 KB)
- Air Quality Management Plan (PDF 457 KB)
- Biodiversity Offset Area Management Plan (PDF 2.4 MB)
- Biodiversity Management Plan (PDF 1.27 MB)
- Construction Environment Management Plan (PDF 7.7 MB)
- Heritage Management Plan (PDF 668 KB)
- Noise and Vibration Management Plan (PDF 1 MB)
- Site Access and Traffic Management Plan (PDF 3.3 MB)
- Waste Management Plan (PDF 846 KB)
- Recreation Management Plan (PDF 7.2 MB)
- Soil and Water Management Plan (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Response to request for additional information (PDF 341 KB)
- Environmental Independent Audit Report Final V2.0 (PDF 5.9 MB)
- Response to Independent Audit (PDF 26 KB)
- WaterNSW has been working with the local community and stakeholders for more than 10 years on the project.
- A community consultation process was carried out during the environmental assessment process to ensure any community concerns were considered.
- A community consultation liaison group consisting of key local stakeholders operated during construction to provide a mechanism for updates and issue resolution.
- The general community has been kept up-to-date as construction progresses through the local media and this webpage.
Enquiries and complaints
Enquiries and complaints should be directed through the WaterNSW complaints management process via the following channels:
- Phone: 1300 662 077
- Post: Customer Helpdesk, WaterNSW, PO Box 1018, Dubbo, NSW 2830